When PM announced that Aatmanirbhar Bharat (Self Reliant India) is the need of an hour and steps being taken in this direction for better India. The question comes to my mind, is this possible without women empowerment?
Women led development will pave the way for self-reliant Bharat in a real sense. We should not forget that 50% population belongs to our women. The resilience, passion and commitment for family, society and country is shown at different periods of time for different sections, like to save the dignity of women, freedom struggle, uplifting education, economic empowerment, Art, literature and Culture, Sports, Medicine, Science and Technology, Research and Development, rural and urban area development, Environment Management, Spiritual progression of individual and society, administration and civil services, leadership, political movement, social media ad journalism and fighting against evils in society.
There are numerous examples clearly proves that when the woman is given equal importance and status or when she decides to create something that is needed for betterment of society, she does it very effectively and efficiently in any field.
I would like to narrate few exceptional stories which proves the mettle of a woman and why woman can make it a big success when we talk about Aatmanirbhar Bharat
- Bachendri Pal (Sports):- A hugely famous name when it comes to mountaineering. Bachendri Pal had become the first Indian woman to scale the Mt. Everest way back in 1984. She has been conferred with Padma Bhushan award.
- Godavari Dutta (Art-Painting):-This great mother is a national award winner is known for her contribution to the beautiful art of Madhubani painting not just in India but also across the globe.
- Rohini Godbole (Science and Engineering -Nuclear):- Indian Physicist, professor at the Centre for high energy Physics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. She has authored over 150 research papers. She is known for her work in new particle production at current and future collides, physics at large Hadron collider and next linear collider, QCD Phenomenology, structure functions of proton, photon and nucleus plus super symmetry and electroweak physics. She is a Padma awardee in 2019.
- Rajkumari Devi (Agriculture):- Fondly known as Kisan Chachi. She hails from Muzaffarpur has been doling out tips on farming that ensures successful harvests. She has mobilised over 300 women to form self-help groups. She is a Padma awardee in 2019.
- Saalumarada Thimmakka ( Social work: Environment):- Karnataka based environmentalist Saalumarada Thimmakka is known for her work in planting and tending to 385 banyan trees along a 4 km stretch of highway between Hulikal and Kudur. . She is a Padma awardee in 2019.
- Jamuna Tudu (Social work):- She is also known as Lady Tarzan. Environmentalist Jamuna Tudu is known for taking on timber mafia. This Godfrey Phillips Bravery award winner has 300 groups working around forest land in Jharakhand. She is also a Padma awardee.
- Narthaki Nataraj (Dancer):- She is the first person from transgender community who received county’s top civilian honour in the year 2019. Hailing from Tamilnadu, she started a dance school Narthaki Nritya Kalalaya and runs Valliambalam School of dance.
- Countless women stalwarts such as Rani Laxmibai, Mata Jijabai, Savitribai Phule,Sarojini Naidu, Lata Mangeshkar, Sushma Swaraj, Kiran Bedi, Mary Com, Saina Nehwal, Sindhutai Sapkal, Neeta Ambani, Asha Bhosale, Indra Nooyi, Kalpana Chawla, Arunima Sinha, Dr. Rakhamabai, Lakshmi Sahgal, M. S. Subbulakshmi, Madam Bhikaji Kama…list is long…..
- Contribution of women in the growth history is quite visible however, as a society we have failed to maintain the dignity of a woman. We need to change our mind set and vision not to see woman as mere house keeper or sex object. Our ancient scriptures and culture shows how we should place faith, maintain dignity and respect woman as we respect Goddess Lakshmi, Parvati, Durga…..
DISCLAIMER: The author is solely responsible for the views expressed in this article. The author carries the responsibility for citing and/or licensing of images utilized within the text.