YEAR 1986: SRINAGAR,
1. Ganpatyar temple, Srinagar – Stoned – Window panes broken.
2. Bhairav temple, Maisuma – Stoned – minor damage
3. Temple in front of Gurudwara at Amiradadal – ransacked – no damage to the building. 4. Shiv temple, Jawaharnagar – attempted arson – minor damage to a window,
5. Bhairav Mandir, Karan Nagar – attempted arson – Carpet burned, no damage to the building.
6, Shiv temple near secretariat – attempted arson – damage.
7. Shiv Mandir, Chota Bazar-60-70 rioter tried to attack the temple; police fired four rounds in the air – no damage,
8. Narayan Mandir in TulsiBagh – attempted arson and stoning minor damage to windowpanes and door.
FEBRUARY 20 -21
9. Gautam nag mandlr at Sarnal – set on fire – heavy damage; 3 out of four rooms destroyed.
10. Shivalay Mandir, Nai Basti – heavy stoning, attempt to destroy and ransack – damage worth Rs. 10,000.
11. Temple at Wanpoh on Khanabal-Qazigund Road – set on fire- extent of damage not known.
12. Another temple at Vanpoh – set on fire – extent of the damage not known.
13. Temple at Aishmuqam – attempt at ransacking – one idol damaged.
14. Temple at Dhanbogund, Kulgam – set on fire – extent of damage not known.
15. Navgam temple, Shangas – Heavy stoning – extent of damage not known.
16. Achhabal temple near Navgam – Heavy stoning – extent of damage not known.
17-20. Four temples in Lokbhavan village of Thana Qazigund – attempted ransacking
21. Harish Chandra Seva Mandir, Beejbehara – ransacking – idols destroyed.
22. Devi Mandir, village Karebal Beejbehara – ransacking – Idols damaged.
23. Shivalay Mandir, Janglat Mandi, Anantnag town – ransacking – extent of damage not known.
24. Temple of Dyalgam – attempt at ransacking – extent of damage not known.
25. Temple at Fatehpura village, Qazigund Tehsil – set on fire – extent of damage not known.
27. Shiv Mandir at village Koil, Thana Pulwama – attempted arson.
28. Temple at village Trisal, Thana Pulwama -AttPmpted ransacking – idols, microphone was taken away; a compound wall of the adjacent cremation ground broken.
29. Kali Mandir in Jamla Kadal Mohalla, Sopore – attempted arson, local people foiled the attempt – no damage.
30. Fatapura temple, Sopore – stoning – minor damage.
31.Chandi Puiarl temple, VYosu Thana Qazigund) – Arson – damage worth Rs. 20,000.
32. Sharda Devi temple, Yalkot (Thana 8adgam) – attempt to arson – one part burnt.
33.Shiv Temple, Sanghampura – (Thana Biru) – attempt to arson – verandah damaged in arson.
34. Shiv Mandir, Magam (Thana Vodura) – attempt to arson – minor damage.
BARAMULA DISTRICT, FEBRUARY 24-25
35. Temple in Bandipore – arsoned – minor damage.
Source -Home Ministry web archives –
DISCLAIMER: The author is solely responsible for the views expressed in this article. The author carries the responsibility for citing and/or licensing of images utilized within the text.