Incredible Facts About Surgical Strikes 2016 By Indian Army You Never Read Before
- The strikes were carried out by men from the Indian Army’s Para Special Forces regiment.
- Three teams were sent for the surgical strikes Two Colonel-ranked officers were the commanders of the teams that were sent to avenge the terror attack. It is unclear whether they themselves led any of the teams.
- There were 19 men in the team led by the Major who won the Kirti Chakra. Almost the same number of men were in the other two.
- All three teams crossed the LoC at different locations – one of which was Uri.
- The SF teams that were sent on the mission had coincidentally trained as a single unit in winter 2015 This special training had created the necessary bonding in the whole unit thus resulting in absolutely precise coordination between every soldier of the teams.
- Only the highest authorities of the country knew of the plan The names included Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Rajnath Singh, the then Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, NSA Ajit Doval, the then Army chief General Dalbir Singh, then vice Chief of StaffLt Gen Bipin Rawat, the then Northern Army commander Lt Gen DS Hooda, the then Chinar Corps commander Lt Gen Satish Dua, the then White Knight Corps commander Lt Gen RR Nimborhkar, the two Colonels whose Para SF men went for the kill, and a handful of top military commanders.
- Around seven terror launch pads were targeted which left at least 80 terrorists dead.
- Only one Para soldier was slightly injured in the mission and no one was left behind
- On their way back, the Major and his men took a longer route to fool the Pakistani soldiers who were expecting the SF on the shorter route.
- Pakistani soldiers fired everything from sniper rounds to rocket launchers to mortars, but could not hit a single SF jawan.It was a landmine which caused the only injury suffered by the Para SF.
- All the Para SF crossed over the LoC at 4.30 am, 36 hours after they had left for their historic mission.
- The entire operation was monitored from Army HQ in Delhi, at the Northern Command HQ in Udhampur, and at Nagrota and Srinagar, the HQs of White Knight and Chinar Corps, respectively.
- Drones were in the air capturing every detail through the entire duration of the operation.
- Besides the Major, 5 men from the 3 teams were honoured with Shaurya Chakra; 13 others received Sena Medal for gallantry.
- The 2016 surgical strike was not the first under the BJP-led NDA government A surgical strike against NSCN(K) terrorists in Myanmar had been carried out in June 2015. Special Forces of the Indian Army had targeted the camps of the terrorist group inside Myanmar and killed 60 insurgents.
- Every soldier had on them Israeli-made assault rifles, night-vision goggles, bulletproof jackets, communication devices, and every equipment needed by a highly-trained SF soldier on an audacious mission.
- Source – http://defencenews.in, Internet Articles
Follow me at @VikasInExile
DISCLAIMER: The author is solely responsible for the views expressed in this article. The author carries the responsibility for citing and/or licensing of images utilized within the text.