Major Somnath Sharma, the first recipient of the Param Veer Chakra, who saved Srinagar from falling to Pakistani hands during the Battle of Badgam in the 1947 War. @sadaashree wrote an informative thread on Major Somnath Sharma. Here is the details he shared-


Major Somnath Sharma, born in the Kangra valley of Himachal Pradesh in 1923, came from a family with a military background. His father Major General Amarnath Sharma, was the first director general of Armed Medical Services post Independence.


Growing up with his grandfather Pandit Daulat Ram, he would often listen to the Gita and Krishna’s teaching to Arjun influenced him a lot. His maternal uncle Capt. Krishna Dutt Vasudev, had earlier died in WWII, defending a bridge in Malaya from the Japanese.



Graduating from the Royal IMA, Somnath Sharma, joined the 8/19 Hyderabad Infantry Regiment as a young lieutnant. He fought in WWII, under Col K.S.Thimayya with the British Army.


There is a very popular anecdote about him having carried his orderly Bahadur, who was badly wounded on his shoulders. He refused to abandon Bahadur, even when Thimayya instructed him saying it was his own orderly he was carrying.


October, 1947- Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru receives a message from an ex Dy Comissioner in Dera Ismail Khan of the N.W.F.P in Pakistan. The message warns of a mission by Pakistan to send tribal raiders to Kashmir, and some had already moved in.


However as the then Maharaja of Kashmir, Hari Singh, still had not signed the Instrument of Accession, Nehru was reluctant to take action. In the meantime, a large number of Afridi, Mahsud, Wazir tribes had begun to enter Kashmir.


Oct 22- Muzaffarbad was attacked and burnt by the raiders. Uri was captured in no quick time, and power station at Mahura was taken over. The whole city of Srinagar was plunged into darkness.


There is a very popular anecdote of Sardar Patel, ordering Nehru to immediately give the orders if he wanted to save Kashmir, when the latter as usual was droning on about UN, Russia, World.


Things began to move fast, first troops and equipment were sent to Srinagar. A very young major by the name of S.K.Sinha handled the logistics, and this was his first assignment in Kashmir. And this is what he had to say about the first batch of jawans.


It was indeed inspiring to see grim determination writ large on their faces. They were all determined to do their best, no matter what handicap they had to contend with. I had never before seen such enthusiasm and fervour for duty.


Somnath Sharma was Sinha’s old friend, from 4 Kumaon, he was actually injured at that time, his hand in a plaster. Sharma was given the task of protecting the airfield, and he felt it was not an “active duty” he wanted to be right in the front.


Though Sinha tried impressing Sharma on the importance of the airfield, he felt it was not really worth enough for him. The next 48 hours, however would tell an entirely different story.


Nov 3, Badgam- The situation was deteriorating fast, the raiders were just a few miles away from Srinagar airport now. L.P. “Bogey” Sen, Brigadier in command of Srinagar, immediately sent Somnath Sharma, and his men to Badgam.


2:30 PM, Nov 3-700 strong tribal force, with 2 and 3 inch mortars launch an attack on the Indian forces, Sharma requested Sen to send in reinforcements for the outnumbered army.


It was critical, the airport falls to the raiders, Srinagar too fell, and Kashmir would be a part of Pakistan. The raiders were now attacking from the Western front too, while keeping the jawans occupied at Badgam.


On all sides the Indian unit of 50 odd soldiers, was surrounded and outnumbered, by the raiders as well as a Lashkar unit. Realizing the importance of Srinagar airport, Sharma urged his men to fight to the last, as he ran from post to post, even though his men fell.


The enemies is only 50 yards from us. We are hopelessly outnumbered. I will not withdraw one inch but fight to the last man last round.

– Major Somnath Sharma’s last words, as he was hit by a mortar shell.

True hero.


By the time the reinforcements came in, the Kumaon unit was overrun, and Major Somnath Sharma, lay dead, fighting to the last. However he ensured that the raiders suffered heavy casualties, 200 of them were killed, and most important, it slowed down their pace.


The last man stand by Somnath Sharma and his troops, gave time for the Indian Army to fly into Srinagar, and ensured it would not fall to Pakistan. His sacrifice was not in vain, he had saved Srinagar for India. #Respect #Naman


Major Somnath Sharma became the first recipient of the Param Vir Chakra, he fought with one arm bandaged, kept off the raiders at bay, and ensured Srinagar airport would not be lost to India. From the Param Vir Chakra citation.


Major Sharma’s company held on to list position and the remnants withdrew only when almost completely surrounded. His inspiring example resulted in the enemy being delayed for six hours, thus gaining time for our reinforcements to get into position to stem the advance.


His leadership, gallantry and tenacious defense were such that his men were inspired to fight the enemy by seven to one, six hours after this gallant officer had been killed.


His last message to the Brigade Headquarters a few moments before he was killed was, ‘the enemy are only 50 yards from us. We are heavily outnumbered. We are under devastating fire. I shall not withdraw an inch but will fight to the last man and the last round. #SomnathSharma


Major Somnath Sharma and the Battle of Badgam would be one of the most stirring examples of heroism, patriotism and courage under fire. A true salute to a great hero. On his Jayanti today, do take time to pay a tribute to him.

Credit – @sadaashree

DISCLAIMER: The author is solely responsible for the views expressed in this article. The author carries the responsibility for citing and/or licensing of images utilized within the text.