Important contributions of Shashtriji (in a span of just 19 months)
- Led India to a victory in 1965 Indo-Pak war in spite of being badly beaten in 1962 Indo-China war.
- Ushered the White (Milk) revolution which eventually resulted India becoming the largest milk producer of the world.
- Sowed the seeds of Green Revolution which has now made India an agricultural power house and is called the “Granary of the World”
- Applied big part of Indian Constitution in J&K, thereby paving ground for the ultimate abrogation of Article 370 in 2019.
- Opposed western colonialism on international arena.
- Was successful in placating the anti-Hindi movements in Southern India in a very peaceful and friendly manner.
- Created the Prime Ministers Office (PMO) which resulted to efficient and independent functioning of Prime Minister. The model is being followed till today.
- Settled the Citizenship issue of Indians working in Sri-Lanka through the Sirima-Shastra Pact.
- After Military seized power in Myanmar, he accepted all Indians staying in Myanmar and gave them citizenship.
- Set the culture of political accountability after resigning as railway minister after a nasty railway accident.
DISCLAIMER: The author is solely responsible for the views expressed in this article. The author carries the responsibility for citing and/or licensing of images utilized within the text.