Founded in 2019, after two years of virtual events, Art Forum SF is back with a bang to present the in-person 2022 South Asian Literature and Art (SALA) Festival. For this year, the vision is bold; the theme is “Humanity,” to examine how the world has categorized each other into boxes, a community of different colors, classes, and castes.
SALA aims to examine and celebrate different points of view but also recognize that, ultimately, humanity triumphs. Montalvo Arts Center and Art Forum SF present the festival in partnership with Stanford Center for South Asia and UC Berkeley Institute for South Asian Studies.
Date October 29-30th, 2022, | Time Noon – 6:30 pm.
Place Montalvo Arts Center, 15400 Montalvo Road, Saratoga CA.
Check out the featured artists and writers in the panels, including the following:
South Asian Contemporary Art Walk
- Featuring South Asian artist & director of the South Asian Creative Collective in NY, Jaishri Abichandani
- Highlight contemporary artists Annu Matthew, Ranu Mukherjee, and Sara
- Interact with the collectors and art institute founders, Shireen Ahmad and Dr. Afzal Ahmad, both pioneers who have committed their collection toward a significant cause.
South Asian Contemporary Writers Row
- Including eminent authors like Pulitzer Prize-winning author Ayad Akhtar, Booker prize-winning book translator Daisy Rockwell, Emmy nominated Vikram Chandra, and famous authors like Alka Joshi.
- Chaitali Sen, Devi Laskar, Sorayya Khan, Amit Majmudar, Jenny Bhatt, Rahul Mehrotra, and Zuni Chopra – South Asian authors who have made a mark on the contemporary literature arena in the US.
- Discuss hard-hitting topics with Thenmozhi Soundararajan, Suraj Yengde, and journalist Salil Tripathi. Question the inclusivity of performance space with musician TM Krishna.
South Asian Epicurean Highlights
- Presenting food scientists’ take on South Asian cuisine by prominent author Nik Sharma.
- Talk with Chef Kauser Ahmed from Karachi Kitchens and Chef Preeti Mistry.
- SALA 2022 will feature Sonia Chopra, Bon Appetit, and Conde Nast Editor alongside cookbook author Madhushree Ghosh.
- The Fiery Tales of the Great Indian Kitchen: Tales of Regional Cuisine with Chitrita Banerjee, Vina Patel, and Hetal Vasavada.
- Engage in a panel discussion of Wine Shine and Chicken Khurana with executive Chef Ajay Walia, Michelin Star restaurant, Chef Ranjan Dey, Neeta Mittal, Ajay Walia, and Ettan Restaurant owner Ayesha Thapar.
** Special event featuring eminent Indian actress Swara Bhasker. **
- Poetry Reading curated by Shikha Malaviya featuring Amit Majmudar, Monica Korde, Monica Mody, Preeti Vangani, Sarah Mohammad, and Urvashi Bahuguna.
- The Art Exhibition features local artists Chandrika Marla, Tanya Momi, and sculptor Priyanka Rana.
- Marketplace includes Garima Shoes, The Peacock Avenue, Marigold and Saeyri, Pragati Sharma Mohanty, Bhangra dance groups, hands-on activities like Henna and Rangoli, food trucks, and much more!
About Art Forum SF
Art Forum SF is a not-for-profit that strives to define and promote all art forms emerging from South Asia. Art Forum SF endeavors to present the visual, the literary, and the performing arts in their various versions, thus enabling a broader reach for South Asian voices. Please visit www.artforumsf.org.
For media partnership and celebrity interviews, contact MUKTA Advertising at firstname.lastname@example.org. For festival-related information, please follow @ArtForumSF on social media.
DISCLAIMER: The author is solely responsible for the views expressed in this article. The author carries the responsibility for citing and/or licensing of images utilized within the text.