Keeping oneself updated with India legal news as a student is always challenging. This is, to say the least, because there are over such decisions on Indian Case Laws dedicated to some niche areas in law which are considered important for students. It seems a never-ending task, and a lot of money would be required to buy abbreviated case laws as an investment. But you need not worry, and this blog can assure you that throughout your study career, you will be better equipped without fail with expert help. Our authors at Lawsohnia provide timely information on the latest updates and the best revisions.
In a rapidly growing legal system like India’s, it is easy to miss out on important Supreme Court rulings that might impact our work. To keep ourselves updated with Indian case law, we can do a few things:
Track specific cases: We can use a service like Google Alerts to track specific cases we are interested in. This way, we will be notified whenever there is any new development in the case.
Follow key websites: Many websites publish summaries of important Supreme Court judgments daily. Judgements Today include Judgements Today. Following these websites can help us stay up-to-date with the latest case law developments.
Subscribe to email newsletters: Services like Judgements Today offer email newsletters that deliver summaries of recent judgments to subscribers daily or weekly. Subscribing to such newsletters can be extremely helpful in keeping ourselves updated with Indian case laws.
What is a Case Law?
Case law is created by a court rather than a legislature. In other words, it is a law decided by judicial precedent rather than statute. Many countries have some form of case law, but in India, the system is particularly important because the country does not have a codified constitution. This means that no one document sets out all of the country’s laws. Instead, the Constitution of India comprises various sources, including statutes (acts passed by the Indian Parliament), previous court decisions, and customs.
The importance of recent judgement of Supreme Court means that it is vital for anyone who wants to keep up-to-date with the law in India to be aware of recent judicial decisions.
There are several ways to do this:
- News media often report on significant cases as they are decided.
- Legal journals publish articles discussing new and interesting cases as they come out.
- Many websites provide free access to databases of Indian case law.
It should be noted that while case law is an important source of law in India, it is not the only source. Statutes passed by Parliament also play a significant role in shaping the law of the land. Anyone who wants to understand the Indian legal system must know case law and statutes.
How to Keep Yourself Updated with Indian Case Laws
Every lawyer needs to keep themselves updated with the Latest Supreme Court judgments. Here are a few tips on how to do so:
- Firstly, subscribe to a good law journal or legal news website. This will ensure that you receive regular updates on new cases and judgments.
- Secondly, use online legal research databases such as Judgements Today. This website provides searchable databases of all Indian court judgments and orders.
- Thirdly, follow legal blogs and websites which provide summaries and analyses of important cases. Some good examples include Live Law, Bar & Bench, Judgements Today, and Legally India.
- Finally, regularly attend Continuing Legal Education (CLE) programs offered by bar associations or law firms. This will help you stay updated with the latest developments in the law and earn valuable CLE credits required for renewing your lawyer’s license every year.
DISCLAIMER: The author is solely responsible for the views expressed in this article. The author carries the responsibility for citing and/or licensing of images utilized within the text.