All of us must have heard about the YES bank where large scale fund diversion had happened and Priyanka Gandhi got a chunk of the loot.
A brief history:
- Yes Bank is an Indian bank headquartered in Mumbai and was founded by Rana Kapoor and Ashok Kapoor in 2004 (around the time the Gandhis came to power)
- On 5 March 2020, in an attempt to avoid the collapse of the bank, which had an excessive amount of bad loans, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) took control of it.
- Using the powers given by Banking Regulation Act, the RBI superseded the board of directors, eliminated the stake of promoters (Rana Kapoor and family) and allocated all shares to other banks like State Bank of India, HDFC, ICICI, Axis Bank in lieu of money they invested in YES Bank. The money gotten from other banks saved the hard earned money of the depositors of the YES bank.
Story of the Loot:
- The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has alleged that Yes Bank co-founder Rana Kapoor and Dewan Housing Finance Limited (DHFL) promoters Kapil and Dheeraj Wadhawan siphoned off funds worth Rs 5,050 crore through suspicious transactions.
- During the investigation, it came to light that a big part of the proceeds of crime (POC) generated in this case has been siphoned off overseas by Rana Kapoor.
Where were the Gandhis involved in the corruption?
- On 24th April 2022, Rana Kapoor told the ED that he was “forced” to buy an M. F. Husain painting from Congress’s Priyanka Gandhi and the sale proceeds were utilized by the Gandhi family for the medical treatment of Congress president Sonia Gandhi in New York.
- Rana Kapoor also told the ED that he was told by the then petroleum minister Murli Deora that the refusal to buy the M F Husain painting will not only prevent him from building a relationship with the Gandhi family but also prevent him from getting the ‘Padma Bhushan’ award.
- Kapoor also told the ED that Ahmed Patel, a close confidante of Sonia Gandhi, had told him that by supporting the Gandhi family at an opportune time for medical treatment of Sonia Gandhi, I (Kapoor) had performed a good deed for the family and it would be duly considered for the ‘Padma Bhushan’ award.
The 2 crore bribe that Pinki got is just the tip of an iceberg. Priyanka must have gotten a big chunk of the Rs 5000/- crore siphoned off by the Kapoor family.
During the UP elections when Pinki gave the slogan “Mein ladki hoon, lad bhi sakti hoon“, she actually meant “Mein ladki hoon, loot bhi sakti hoon“
DISCLAIMER: The author is solely responsible for the views expressed in this article. The author carries the responsibility for citing and/or licensing of images utilized within the text.